How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hello please help! Im a divorced father and have 2 boys 6 and

Customer Question

Hello please help! Im a divorced father and have 2 boys 6 and 7 years old. I work all week and every other weekend. i see them every monday,tuesday,evening, wednesdays they sleepover and i drop them off thursday morning and see them on a friday evening. On my weekend off they stop over on a friday night and i return them on a sunday evening. My problem is this my wife left me for another man and it didnt work out and now iv met a special woman and got engaged she also has 2 childeren, because i work every other weekend and see my boys the other weekend i dont get much time with my fiancee. I asked my ex if i could drop the boys off on a saturday evening so i could spend sunday with her and she said no. I think shes upset that iv moved on and wanting to stop me seeing the kids through the week and make me never spend a part of that weekend with my fiancee. Can she do this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a contact order in place?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No we've just sorted it between us
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

you. You should try to resolve matters using family mediation

it is quicker and less confrontational than court it isnt necessarily cheaper

If this fails then she can apply to the court for a
defined contact order which will formalise arrangements.

The necessary forms are available on the here .

The court will not make a reluctant parent have contact but they do not
want to have.

So, if you want to take the children back earlier, the court will not
enforce otherwise.

That doesn't mean that it won't stop your ex being awkward. If she tries to
stop contact however, the court will enforce a reasonable amount of contact and
if you cannot agree between you. What is happening, the court will decide for
you and then you are stuck with it and you will have to work your way around it
yourself. It is a shame that it is come to this, because clearly it has worked
well so far and it would be a shame to waste. What could be thousands of pounds
in legal costs over a simple timing issue.

There is no legal solution to sorting out the timing between you if she
will not agree to mediation or it breaks down.

I'm sorry, I wish I could offer you a magic solution, but there is not one.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be online and

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get
paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this thread.