How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

If a charity is a company limited by guarantee as well, and

This answer was rated:

If a charity is a company limited by guarantee as well, and changes name (but not the reg number, so same company), but closes down with Charity Commission - is the "new company, that's taken over, inherits the debts or do they die with the Charity?
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

When you say new company you mean new Charity?

And is the new charity Ltd by guarantee too?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Company has changed the name from, lets say from A to B in November 2012 (when company A is searched on the Companies House register, it comes up with new name, B, but states that previous name is A) but Charity stayed called A until two weeks ago, when its de-registered with the Charity Commission. Company B is not a charity, a community group.

So, am I correct to think that company B is responsible for the debts of company/charity A, because its registered with the Companies House under the same number, address, directors etc? Is the fact that charity A no longer exists means that B (in essence, the very same entity) doesnt have to pay us the money they owe? Can we take B to court to recover our money?

Who did you invoice, who is your contract with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The initial agreement was with charity/company A, so was all the correspondence. However, last reminder we sent (10 days ago) was in the name of the company B, requesting payment based on the fact that they are, in fact, the same entity. I dont expect them to pay - they have tried to avoid paying us in every possible way. My Trustees have instructed me to take B to court, which is why Im trying to find out little bit more.

As long as you are suing Co B under the name registered at Companies House you will be fine.

You should put the Defendant as 'Company B, previously trading as Company A'.

But yes you can sue.

Does that clarify?

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, thats exactly what I needed to know!


I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?