How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I am a tenant and the heating system has been working poorly

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant and the heating system has been working poorly over the last 3 (winter) months. The Landlord has sent out plumbers, but they have been consistently failing at solving the problem. Am I elegible for compensation and, if so, is there any guidance (based on precedents) as to how much I could ask for? Thank you in advance for your help
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, thank you for your reply. The contract says that it is "an Assured Shorthold Tenancy as defined in section 19a of the Housing Act 1988 as amended by the Housing Act 1996".


I hope that helps!


Thank you and kind regards

Is it now fixed?

How much is rent?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, the problem has not been fixed yet: plumbers sent by the landlord have been attending the property several times (almost once a week), and still are, but have been unable to fix the issue; I am strongly suspicious that the problem is structural (an undersized heating system), and that the landlord has been knowing this before the start of the tenancy. Average temperatures have been ranging between 13 and 16 degrees celcius, throughout the past 3 months. I am paying £775.00 per week.


Thank you,

Andrea Carnelli


You have protection under the landlord and tenant act to have hot water and central heating

It is a legal requirement

Given the value you are paying I am of the view that you could seek a 25% to 50% reduction

You could do this via the county court

You can issue a claim online at

If your claim is below £5000 it would be a small claim and you won't need a solicitor

Above this amount you would need a solicitor to present your argument in court

I assume though there is no dispute that you have been without heating but you have a solid claim based on what you have said

I hope this helps

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?