How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have be seperated from my x partner for some time however

Customer Question

I have be seperated from my x partner for some time however she has mental health issues for which i have to continually support her. If this support is withdrawn she has threatened to make my life intollerable in every aspect, work, friends and my son! I am at my wits end and don't know what to do! All I want is for her to be out of my life!
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would like to know what I can do to prevent her carrying out her threats

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

What exactly has she threatened
to do? How has she made the threat? Would it be your word against hers? Are her
mental health issues documented?

What sort of support do you
provide? How old is your son? Who does he live with?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has threatened to get in touch with my employers to get me dismissed, convey personal information to my employers and freinds, convey information anout my friends to others. All done verbally so far!

I don't think she has anything but just know she could create a huge amount of embarrement! I think her historic issues are documented, she has been to see a doctor and is now on anti depressents.


My son is 7 and lives with me most weekends. The support I give her is as followings:


The property she which the mortgage is paid for solely by myself

Cash amount circa £500.00 per month

Mobile Phone

Cable connection



Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

You obviously have to continue
to pay child maintenance at the going rate. CSA rates of child
maintenance are 15% for one child, 20% for 2 and 25% for 3 or more children
living 100% with the resident parent. That is reduced by 1/7 for each 52 nights
the child stays with the non-resident parent. There is also a reduction in the
non-resident parent is responsible for other children. CSA child maintenance is
payable till the children reach 19 years old or leave full-time non-advanced
education. Non-advanced education is generally classed as a level, not
University, but there are some further education courses which are not classed
as advanced. Full-time courses can be as little as 12 hours per week.

education courses include:

a degree

Diploma of Higher Education (DHE)

NVQ level 4 or above

BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND)

teacher training

'Non-advanced' education includes the following:


A levels

NVQ/SVQ level 1, 2 or 3

BTEC National Diploma, National Certificate and 1st Diploma

SCE higher grade or similar

with regard to her threats you
are entitled to protection from this under the Protection from Harassment Act
and this then becomes a police matter. Of course, she will deny making the
threats so until she actually does something, then unless you have evidence of
the threats (text, emails, witnesses, whatever), then it is simply your word
against hers and the police are unlikely to do anything unless she has a
history of such conduct.

Please bear with me today because I will be online and

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
How exactly is the care of the child shared between you and has your ex actually received any treatment for her mental health?