How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My long term partner and I will be getting married later this

Customer Question

My long term partner and I will be getting married later this year. I have a 10-year old daughter by another man.

My new husband-to-be would like to adopt my daughter and my daughter is in agreement with this.

The biological father of my daughter left us when she was 7 months old and has not seen her nor attempted any form of contact with her since she was one. He has never paid any maintenance. The CSA spent years trying to locate him on our behalf for maintenance payments and in the end gave up and therefore asked my persmission for them to drop the case as he was just 'clogging up their system'. I consented.

I believe that my daughter's father probably lives in the north west of England, whilst we live in Sussex.

Could you advise the procedure for my new husband to adopt my daughter and how we can tackle the fact that her biological father is untraceable so therefore cannot be asked for his consent.

I hope to hear from you soon, and thanks in advance for your input.

Yvonne McKeown
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
Your starting point is to approach the Adoption Section of your local Children's Services who will discuss the matter with you.
Your ex will be traced - via the DWP if necessary - but if not then Social Services will wish to speak to his family members at the very least.
Even if the father objects if the court considers that the adoption would be in the best interests of the child then the Court can grant it.
You can expect the process to take in the region of a year