How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Care Home Fees - my mother-in-law is about to be sent to a

This answer was rated:

Care Home Fees - my mother-in-law is about to be sent to a care home. She has no savings, but she does own her house. Our understanding is that if she needs a care home as a result of an illness she's not liable to incur fees, i.e in this case, sell her house to pay for said fees. If she needs a care home purely on the grounds of age, she is liable to incur fees. Are we close to how this works? Or way off?

Whats the equity?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

£190,000 aprox!

You are almost there. If she is in hospital through
illness, then that is funded.

If she comes out of hospital into a care home, then
unless she is eligible for what is called continuing care, then it is not

Let me tell you now that to be eligible for continuing
care a person has to be almost incapable of doing anything for themselves.

As you appreciate the cost of continuing care puts a great
burden on the local authority budget and therefore very few people are ever
eligible for continuing care. There have been many appeals over people being
eligible (to try and preserve the family home) and many appeals have been
successful only days before the person passed away.

There are companies which have tried to jump on the
appeal bandwagon, but they do charge several thousand pounds and there is no
guarantee of success.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be online and

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

PS They cant touch her last £23k
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
HiThe real issue is whether or not what is required is Nursing or Social care.If Nursing Care is required (even when the person is NOT in hospital) then the NHS must payYou can find more details here
Whilst my colleague is perfectly correct, getting fully funded care isnt easy.