How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi, How long would it take and how much would it cost to get

This answer was rated:



We will get married in China and we will leave at 29th April. I'm afraid if I go to the local council to get the certificate of no impediment, it will take a long time.


How long would it take and how much would it cost to get a certificate of no impediment?


Any solicitor can let you have this for about £100 if you have something which tells them what it needs to say.

The last client I did one of these for came along with a
document he got from somewhere which said what it needed to confirm.

I did it in the form of a statutory declaration which
cost him about £150 because I did it within 24 hours. He then had to go to
another firm of solicitors to swear on oath and that cost 5 pounds. Make sure
that you get the swearing solicitors official stamp on it.

The hardest part is going to be finding a solicitor who
will deal with it immediately. There is no reason why there should be a delay.
Apart from existing workload.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be online and
off-line and off-line for most of the afternoon

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange

James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I have a relevant to my previous question. My girlfriend is under the Tier One (Post-Study-Work) visa which will expire next year February. In consideration of her visa changing, is it better if we get married in UK rather than China?

I'm sorry but I don't know anything
about visas or work permits so I will open the question for other experts to

On a practical note, if you are going
to live in the UK it might be an idea to have all the paperwork in English