How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Hi, If I am receiving a company pesnion from a company which

Customer Question


If I am receiving a company pesnion from a company which did not make me redundent, can I still sign on the unemployment register to get only the contribution based job seeker allowance.

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

From the citizens advice:

Whether you get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance will depend on your national insurance contributions. If you have been working and paying national insurance contributions within the last couple of years, you may qualify.

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is not affected by any savings you have. However, if you have part-time earnings or an occupational or personal pension, this may affect how much contribution-based JSA you get. For example, the amount of contribution-based JSA that you get is cut pound for pound for any occupational pension that is over £50 a week. If you earn too much, you will not get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance at all.

You only get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance for yourself, so you do not get an amount for your partner if you are claiming as a member of a couple. However, you may get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance on top of your contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance if you have a partner, or because of your personal circumstances - for example, if you are disabled or caring for a disabled person or have to pay a mortgage.

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is paid for a maximum of six months. After that, you may get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, depending on your income and savings.

So depending on your income yes you may be able to claim it.

If there you have any questions or if I can help you with anything else please let me know,

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?