How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

How can I trace a solicitor who has moved from last known address

This answer was rated:

How can I trace a solicitor who has moved from last known address 10+ years ago?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In 1995/6 the solicitor who dealt with the purchase of my house closed the office in Chester and moved to Speke, Liverpool with my new house deeds which he was to keep safe.

I was foolishly ok with this.


Some time later I was visited by a solicitor from another practice which had been given the job of taking over Atkinson's work. I explained thaat I wanted my deeds and he said he would look in to it. I never heard from him again.


I am now retired and this has become a priority.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Solicitor was Mr Balmford.



Atkinsons in association with Balmford & Co., Chester




There is a C R Balmford at Nyland & Beattie in
Widnes. About 5 miles away.

If that isnt the one, then
contact Law Society

and I will tell you who took
over the practice, where the records are and where the solicitor is now is still

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be online and

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange.

James Mather and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

many thanks. Will try to contact C Balmford on Monday and return to you if no luck.

No problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX spoken to the solicitor and he is the one who dealt with the sale of my house. The deeds have gone missing but I now have a certificate from Land Registry proving my ownership of the house.

Glad to help.