How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71038
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I found cocaine in my boyfriends belongings couple of times,he

Customer Question

I found cocaine in my boyfriends belongings couple of times,he said it's for his brother who likes it...His brother drinks every day even at work and my boyfriend is very close to him, he also drinks exccesively, every secnd day. We live together in the same flat, I am not sure what to do with that..Tried to talk to him but it doesn't work, he is not going to changem he is 31 now, we've lived for over a year together. He abuses me verbally, calls me a 'psycho' and that i am not normal. He doesn't want to move out and at the moment i can't afford to move house.Not sure if i should go to police, doctor to seek some advice. Please help, what legally i am able to do#
Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What my rights are?if i go to the police and tell them what's been happening and that he emtionally abuses me, saying i have no power etc

What is the best way to deal with that apart from moving out immediately which i can't afford and feel that he need to take responsibility for what's been happening to me. I don't feel safe staying at the same place, also i work night shifts and i know there is always drinking/drug party while i am not there

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
There's no offence in emotional abuse I'm afraid. That is a relationship issue. The police would not be prepared to act.

Obviously there are offences in possession of cocaine and that could be reported. They would investigate that matter.

However, unless the police actually find cocaine they are not going to be able to prosecute any person.

There is no offence in heavy drinking.

If its just that he is generally verbally abusive then that is a relationship issue for you to regulate as you choose.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

How can i prove the cocaine possession?is picture of it in his wallet good enough?emotional abuse is a sort of domestic violence, i don't understand that it's not an offence....I have recorded him on my phone couple of times, also if i record what's been happening in the flat while i am not there, that he is taking drugs and drinking with his friends, would that not help?

Also if i take his hair for forensic tests, would that not be a prove?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
No, its not sufficient. They would need to find it on him. They will not waste resources analysing his hair.

Emotional abuse is a relationship issue and the police will not expend resources on it. Whatever it does mean, it is no offence I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,


Sorry one last thing.If i found cocaine again can I call the police straight away?would they be able to act immediately such as visit us at home?What's the best way to deal with it?as i don't want to get myself in more trouble.I just don't feel safe and need to do something about it in the meantime while i am getting myself new accomodation.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you can do that but you should be aware of the relatively minor nature of this offence. If this is a small amount of cocaine for personal use then if he admitted it at the police station and had no previous convictions or cautions he would probably just get a police caution. Even after a contested trial he would only be fined. He certainly isn't going to be remanded for weeks on end for this.


I suppose that the fact it was intended for his brother would amount to PWITS but he won't accept that in interview.