How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I stupidly have been looking at my ex s Facebook account.

This answer was rated:

I stupidly have been looking at my ex s Facebook account. Ad she left hers logged in on my pc. I'm sure she will have known. And she is in the police. What should I do.
What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing from her now. I was angry and upset when I found out she had a new relationship. Should I tell the police what I've done? I know it was stupid and wrong.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Any thoughts advice on what I should do

No, on no account go to the police. We do not walk into police stations with our hands in the air.

The onus is upon them to prove what they allege. Obviously they may be able to do that is but we do not do their job for them by charging down to the police station and confessing.

This is likely to amount to a malicious communication. They may or may not be able to prove it. Computer misuse is capable of proof usually but it is quite labour-intensive to investigate and it's not the most serious offence. Excessive resources are not going to be devoted to this.

The other issue here may well be that she might not report it. Even if she does know she might decide that it's all trivial and not worthy of the attention of the police. There actually are lots of women who have better things to do with their lives and make allegations of abuse. Also she may know nothing about it.

Certainly you are not assisted at this stage by confessing.

If, on the other hand you are contacted by the police and invited in for interview and during interview they put to you enough admissible evidence to prove the offence then it might be worth confessing in the hope that a police caution would be available.

Obviously you should desist from gaining access to her Facebook account.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you

no problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

All the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had an email yesterday saying my profile had been searched online. I wondered if that was a coincidence. Or they may have been a police search done on me!?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Any thoughts on that?

Its not all that likely the police have done any online searching.