How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

Dear Madam I am ex-Army Officer and a retired Con.Psychiatrist.

Customer Question

Dear Madam I am ex-Army Officer and a retired Con.Psychiatrist. I am a registered disabled person since 1999. I live with my son who is also my full time carer. We lost everything due to high handedness of HSBC plc. WE HAVE BEEN LIVING IN A PRIVATE RENTED ACCOMMODATION SINCE SEP.2011. We got the property in Lewisham, through an Estate Agent. We were promised that flat would be fully decorated and furnished to our full satisfaction. Nothing happened for few months and it transpired the the owner under pretext that he was selling the property, would let the flat on short term basis and if the client made any complaint -- he would issue immediate letter for vacation. I depended on Estate Agent as he did manage to get minor repair done but suddenly he disappeared as he was not making both ends meet and that I came to know, when, one day last Oct.2012 the owner informed me that he needed the flat. When, I with my son looked into the issues involved, it surfaced that that he did not do anything with the deposit, he was not insured at all, all fittings and fixtures were beyond repair and all the appliances needed replacement. Further, because of leakage of water from kitchen there was stinking smell in particular "Bath Room" (wide spread toxic fungus). I called called for inspection of Local Authority "Enviornament Health Officer" He declared flat unfit for living and instructed the owner for immediate action. The owner did some patch work but no way near that was needed. My falls, breathlessness, Chest infection and the wrist drop (paralysis) was attributed to lack of Oxygen and Spores inhalation because of happenings in the flat. As, I did not want to spend another winter in that flat, I moved out, paying rent to my friend and then from 3rd of Jan.2013, I rented a house in Sidcup Kent. We were sticking around for convenience of the location and the promises. In my old age and with all my medical problems, I just wanted a practical solution, so I demanded my rent back and assured him that I would not take the case further regarding his unlawful, if not criminal conduct. Instead, accepting my solution, he has resorted to threats and harassment, that he is a Litigation Lawyer and Keystone Layers would fight for his interest only All the sequence of events is well recorded and so is my medical history. I am in possession of my medical records. Dr S Shek

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr Shek,

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Shantal-Mod Thank you for your reply. Please continue with your search. Thanks Shek

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hello Shek,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

What is it you would like to achieve?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Nic The Landlord has come up with so-called an offer that he would not press for rent and would return the deposit, if I give him keys immediately.But he has not stopped his threats. I left the flat in Dec.2012 because I did not want to spend another winter there. It is well documented what I have suffered over the past fifteen months. The flat is a death trap and the Landlord is not insured for anything, what-so-ever. His only excuse is that he did not want to rent the flat in the first place and he is going to sell it, at the first opportunity I want my rent back, though I have been advised to sue him on medical ground for the suffering and the injuries sustained due to his negligence. As a I have said before, I am a registered disabled person with history of strokes, Depression and Quadruple Heart Bypass with some serious complications. I have move out on medical specialist and health inspector's advice. I do not have the means or strength to drag him to the "Open Court" Thanks regards XXXXX XXXXX Shek

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Yes I i understand,

What is your question about this of me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please explain, what you mean, Yes I i understand and "What is your question about this of me?" Shek

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
What is your question?

What do you want to ask me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Nic
What line of action I should follow; If I were young I would have taken my Landlord to "Open Court".
Renting is a business enterprise and there is a code of practice (Rules & regulations to follow)
My landlord did not cover himself, he is like running a private ambulance service without any insurance cover and also he has not put my deposit in Govt. Deposit Scheme. He has been exposed and now he has resorted to threats.
I want my money back, I am not asking for compensation.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Yes you could considering suing the Landlord for breach of contract.

You could do this online at: - you will have to pay a fee but this will be added to the claim.

If your claim is for £5000 or below it will be a small claim and you wont need a Solicitor.

You can also sue for your deposit.

You will be surprised how quick matters are resolved once proceedings are issued.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.