How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

the managing company in charg of my flat .the servce is very

Customer Question

the managing company in charg of my flat .the servce is very poor .and im not willing to pay the service charge unlees they restore the sevice they supply around our blook of flats or send someone to speak to me so i can show him the state of the service im geeting.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi i would like to send them a very strong letter asking them to sort thinges out befor i pay them the charge .i can provide some images of the neglect around our blook .

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

you have a list of what services they should be providing that they are not?
Are all the other leaseholders of the same opinion?

will it cost to provide the services assuming that you were getting them done
by someone else?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

-all maintainanca ,gardening, cleaning---------each flat pay 1065 poundes a year the point is they look after only around the flats where the cordanator and the directores lives. -in the block where i live most of resedents are tenantes so thier service charge is paid by the leasholder .but all of them notcing that we not getting the same service. -i dont think im allowed to pay someone elese to do the sevice. -i can provide some photoes of the neglect .

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

suggestion would be that all the leaseholders write sending photographs of the
neglect and photographs of the good condition of the area you mention. I would
tell the management company that they are in breach of contract for not
providing the service you pay for and that they do not immediately remedy
everything which is wrong and continue to do so, you will get estimates for
correcting the work and you will soon the management company for the costs
which, according to the quote you have received you have overpaid. In addition,
you reserve the right to continue to get outside contractors and to sue the
management company for the costs.

me tell you now that you are not allowed to withhold service charge because if
you do, you are then in breach of the terms of the lease. The remedy is to
continue to pay the service charge, but sue them for whatever it costs you.

letter, threatening a plague of locusts and the fleas of 1000 camels to infest them
might wake them up, a along with the writ and an application for costs might
wake them up.

I help further?

Please bear with me today and over weekend because I will
be online and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get
paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange