How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now


This answer was rated:

Hello, I'm writing on behalf of my Mum. She has chosen to separate from her husband of 30 years. The house they live in is owned by my brother and the tenancy agreement is in just my mothers name. Her husband is the bread winner and won't leave the house, after 6 weeks notice. My mother is staying with family and still paying the rent. What rights does she have? Thanks Andrea
Has there been any violence and why is your mother still paying the rent?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No violence, she is on the tenant agreement and wants to still live there.

He also has huge debts in his name, which we are worried about.

Does that help?

Thanks Andrea
I am afraid that so long as they are married her husband has the right to live in the matrimonial home no matter who is on the Tenancy agreement.
If they cannot reach agreement on who should live there in the long term then it will be for the court to decide - however in the mean time it should be made clear that he must pay the rent whilst he alone lives there
She should try and discuss the long term realities with him using Family mediation (
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As my step farther is the breadwinner does that make a difference?
That makes no difference to the situation