How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

When I was still married to my ex wife, her father

Customer Question

Hi, when I was still married to my ex wife, her father was,prosecuted for downloading child pornography and he has to sign the sex offenders register every year. At the time my daughter was 2. After the conviction my wife begged me to sign an agreement to allow her father to remain having contact with us as a family. I agreed and signed the agreement. Since this time we went on to have a son. My daughter is now 10 and my son 7. I have since separated and divorced their mother and re-married. For 3 years I had a very good relationship with my children and saw them regularly even though my work commitments take me out of country and we live in different counties. However the relationship between my ex and myself has significantly deteriorated since she found out I was remarrying. I have been married for 3 years, both my children attended the wedding, but since then contact has been a struggle with my ex citing that the children especially my daughter did not wish to spend time with me. To cut a long story short, for the last 3 years I have done everything my ex has asked to maintain a relationship with my children, I have even sat in her house for hours (at her request) to no more than try and coax the children out of the house. I have a 6 month old baby with my wife and now have a non existent relationship with my children. I call on the telephone, I Skype but get very little response from my children. I know my ex is guiltly of parental alienTion and maternal gatekeeping but cannot prove this. I am worried about not being in their lives especially as their grandfather, a sex offender has more access and rights it seems to my children than I do. Where do I stand legally with regards ***** ***** ex-wife's father?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
Is there a contact order in place?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, we agreed at the time of the seperation that as long as I gave due notice I could see them whenever I wanted, due to the nature of my employment it wasn't feasible to have anything set in stone ie. every other weekend etc. it would always be when I was back in country I would make arrangements. I left my ex wife for my wife now, six years ago. My ex wife had no objections to my partner at the time (who is now my wife) seeing the children. They regularly stayed with us at our home to which we have photographic evidence. No arrange to for children were made in the divorce. Even though I committed adultery my wife did not file for divorce until 2 years post seperation, just before I would have been able to file due to being apart for 2 years. Contact has been strained since my ex wife found out about the impending marriage 3 years ago, and that I had discussed it with the children, which in her words 'I had no right to do without her knowing first and being present'. She also does not consult me on any major events in the children's lives, for example she moved my son from his school after he was being bullied to another school without consulting me. I found out from my son, 3 months after he had moved.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you respond please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have responded to answer but have had no reply!! What am,I paying for??
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
When did you last see the children?