How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I purchased a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra 3 weeks ago there is a lot

Customer Question

I purchased a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra 3 weeks ago there is a lot of problems with the car.I want my money back but the dealer does not want to know me.I paid £4,500 plus one years motor tax which was £200.What do i do
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

What type of problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Electrical,steering a bad noise in the rear axel

Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry but you will struggle to reject this vehicle now. This is a used car and you have to reject it pretty quickly to fall within the SGA. Case law has confirmed that it has to be within literally a few days. Also, the fault has to be really fundamental to reject used cars.

You do have a claim for damages though. The dealer cannot escape his obligations by saying it was sold as seen. Unless he specifically pointed these faults out to you at the time of sale he cannot escape by arguing that the words 'as seen' were contained in the contract.

If he refuses to act then you can always have the work done and sue for the cost. Its worth sending him a letter before action giving him no less than 28 days to resolve this.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.