How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

i work for a company i work all around the united kingdom and

Customer Question

i work for a company i work all around the united kingdom and have done for the last 12 years i am employed on the books i am forced to find my own lodeings and have pay my own living expenses at twenty pounds per day what can i do about it ?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What does your contract say about this and the issue of expenses generally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my contract doesn't say anything about expenses

Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
The law requires your employer to reimburse reasonable expenses necessarily incurred in the course of your employment for example:

travelling expenses to a location other than the normal place of work
hotel accommodation when staying away from home for work
mileage expenses for use of a private car when travelling on company business
petty expenses for materials necessarily purchased for the purpose of carrying out your job
It is essential that you get receipts for reimbursable expenses. Most employers will set out an expenses policy, with rules and procedures for claiming expenses.

Even if there is no express term in your contract, the law still entitles you to be reimbursed.
Expert:  JGM replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I should have said above your remedy is to ask your employer for reimbursement. If they refuse you can make a claim to the Employment Tribunal.