How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shantal-Mod Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10
Type Your Law Question Here...
Shantal-Mod is online now

We have pine and Poplar trees next to my propery they are 23

Customer Question

We have pine and Poplar trees next to my propery they are 23 mtrs to 30.5 mtrs. I fiiled in a high hedge complaint form to shropshire council but they said as the trees where not planted as a hedge and just a line of trees they could not help me.They stop light into my house and cast shadow across my garden so i have no sun i half my garden at all.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question, my name is Nic I will do whatever I can to help you today.

How long have they been there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I dont know but I have lived here for 14 years and they have grown alot. The house is now owned by the previous owners mother. They have 5 acres so trees that high are not a problem to them. A trees surgeon has told me the Poplars are dangerous and I wrote and told her . She agree they could be cut to a height she wanted but at my expense. I replyed that I would pay as long as they were cut to about half and some other trees cut. I have not had any more correspondance.I can send you the letters.

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

I can say that only certain types of trees requiring planning permission but that pines do not.

Therefore I am sorry to say that the council can not do anything.

That leaves you with a right to light. Sadly case law shows that there is no right to light,

This means you can not sue to get them to cut the trees down.

However I would suggest you speak with them and it would be a good idea to the mediation,

This is where a third party tries to resolve the matter.

However litigation would be costly if you lose you would have to pay the costs of the other side and there is no guarantee.

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 5 years ago.


It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you,