How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

My gas boiler broke down on a Sunday and I desperation I called

This answer was rated:

My gas boiler broke down on a Sunday and I desperation I called a company who said they would send an engineer but I had to pay a deposit of 60gbp and then pay the gas engineer 95 Gbp per hour plus parts. I paid the deposit and they sent an engineer. When the engineer turned up he saw my system was an LPG system and said he wasn't qualified to fix it but that I had to pay him minimum 1 hour fee. I protested but because I had asked for a gas engineer and not an LPG engineer it was my misinformation that called him out an meant I had to pay. I paid him and called the company who said it was my fault for calling the wrong engineer event gouge as a consumer I am not really the expert on who can fix what. I feel ripped off but is there anything I can do. Should I try and cancel te payments given that any company selling emergency boiler repairs should really ask the question about my boiler type before sending an engineer?
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

How did you pay for it.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I paid one by PayPal debit card and the other by cheque.
Have you disputed it with paypal yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet because I don't know if I have any real basis for claim.

If it is beyond their expertise then you can not be charged for it.

It's like taking your Mercedes to a garage and have a BMW engineer say no I can't fix that,

You relied on them and their expertise.

So complain to paypal and reverse the payment.

As for the balance write to them and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings.

You can do this by looking at

As the claim is below £3000 it's a small claim and you won't need a solicitor.

You will be surprised how quick matters are resolved once you issue proceedings.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
UK-Justice and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Forgive me the link should be


It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you,