How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My brother and his wife who live in Spain asked could they

Customer Question

My brother and his wife who live in Spain asked could they use our address for parcels etc to be delivered, we agreed. We then discovered he was using our address for access to benefits when a benefit consultant knocked on our door and asked to see him. My husband was told we could be prosecuted for aiding and abetting this action and we therefore told the benefits gentleman the story and gave him my brothers address in Spain.
Since that time, after a nasty arguement with my brother and his wife we have been receiving letters from banks, loan companies etc asking for their money from my brother/wife. I have up to now opened these letters scanned them and sent to my brother. I have received an email from my brother telling me that if I open any letters address to him he will report me to the police. I do not want debt collectors etc knocking on my door. He denies any of these debts are his and claims his identity has been stolen. Is there anything I can do to stop this.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
Did he give you permission to open his post?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
There is an offence in tampering with the queens mail under the old postal services act but they have to show that you've done it wilfully and maliciously and if you've been sending them onto to him that would collapse.

In terms of debt collectors, they cannot attend unless they have a CCJ against him. Of course, they may have a CCJ against him for all you know so you are right to be concerned but not aloof them will. If bailiffs do attend though they can remove anything that doesn't belong to him

Obviously you gave him permission to use your address so there isn't any retribution for doing so.

You can tell all of these companies that he doesn't live there though and give them the correct address.

If his identity has been stolen the he should be reporting it to the police rather than ignoring it.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So you are saying that I should - or shold not open the mail. If I send to him and he ignores it, then I will have the annoyance of collectors knocking on my door.

Can I report this to the police? He has become extremely nasty in his email to me - and has now blocked me sending any replies to his email address asking me to write to him?

There must be something I can do to make him redirect this mail from my address


And you are saying that they can remove items that do not belong to him - IS THAT CORRECT


BUT NOT ALOOF THEM WILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!