How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71036
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi a friend of mine has used his credit card for betting himself

This answer was rated:

Hi a friend of mine has used his credit card for betting himself and lost money but then he reported the card company that he has lost his card and never authorised the transaction. He never used his pin to authorise the betting. But credit card company is asking him to confirm to sign a declaration authorising the police to investigate the matter. In case it proven that the card was not lost and used by him..can police then charge him to wrongly report the activity
How much has he used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have paid the highest amount to get an immediate answer cannot wait for her to come back online in her own leisure
The reason for the delay was that you relisted this so that it dropped off my question listSo, in short, he's made a false report .Have they reported it to the police yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no they have asked him to sign a declaration to share it with police which he hasnot yet signed

Yes, but the facts he reported were false?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes..but can he not take it back by just saying that he doesnot want to proceed further with it for personal reasons

Its not that simple I'm afraid.

He can certainly tell the credit card company that he doesn't want to pursue the report. Whether they would agree or not is a matter for them.

The police cannot act against him for making a false report per se. If he made the false report to his credit card company then he hasn't perverted the course of justice save for in a very convoluted form. He hasn't made an allegation to the police or any prosecution agency so there isn't a course of justice. It could be argued that by making a false report to his credit card company the inevitable consequence was that they would call the police but they won't do that. Its too complicated for a start and also it isn't really an inevitable consequence.

What they could do is make a report to the police of fraud. There isn't a completed fraud but there was an attempt to defraud them. They probably would not bother though if he accepts the debt.

If he does make a false report to the police though then that is perverting the course of justice and people go to prison for that on first offences.

Delighted to give you more information but please rate my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

excellent answer,

i will ask him to write to the comapny that he doesnot want to proceed further with the matter and should accept the debt

No problem.

Obviously nobody can guarantee that is risk free but its a lot safer than any other option open to him now.