How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have a plot of land with planning permission to build myself

Customer Question

I have a plot of land with planning permission to build myself a new house. The house will be built 200mm away from the neighbours garden boundary. i have a party wall agreement with my neighbour, but not for any scaffolding. I would require scaffolding to construct the gable end wall of the new house as it would be difficult to build overhand.My neighbour is reluctant for me to place any scaffolding in his garden. If i build overhand ,say up to 3meters high, can i form a overhanging scaffold above that hight. do's my neighbour own the air space above his land, if so how hight. The scaffolding would not be near any of his building, it is only garden.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.
What are the details of the party wall agreement?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

To allow the construction a dwelling 200mm away from his boundary

and to make good any damage that may be required to the boundary after construction.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

To build within 200mm from his boundary wall

Expert:  James Mather replied 5 years ago.

The question is v common. He owns the airspace "up to the heavens".

Although you can erect scaffolding on his land (under access to
neighbouring land act) for maintenance you cannot for new build. The same applies to
a cantilever scaffold. You must have his consnet. If he simply refuses, you
have no cause of action and have to rejig your plans or offer him money.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today and over any weekends because I will be online
and off-line.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not
what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It
doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I don't
get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open for us to continue this exchange