How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

placed my car in the hands of local car dealer to sell for

Customer Question

placed my car in the hands of local car dealer to sell for me Oct.12.I believe he sold the car arround Jan 13.Has been making excusses since as to why he has not paid me the £6,ooo agreed.i understand the ammount is too large to go the small claims court & cant afford the cost to go to county court. Please advise
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
JOMO1972 Please advise how i can recover money owed without risking loosing more money proceeding with county court action.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

There are no real risk free options I'm afraid.

Ultimately you either sue or you write this money off.

You can send him a letter before action giving him 28 days to pay which might succeed but there are no guarantees.

If he does not then your only option is to sue. You can issue here

Its a sum that exceeds just the small claims court arena so costs may be an issue unless the other side consent to it being heard at the small claims court.

On the other hand though, the issue of costs may be a bargaining chip to get him to settle as he will be liable for your costs and he will not want to pay.

Hope this helps.