How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 54552
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi,i work as a free lance interpreter with cpita,they with

Customer Question

Hi,i work as a free lance interpreter with cpita,they with hold my payments and have been doing calculation from there side.They did not ask for any explanation and made there own decision and took me of there Data base too.I still tried to explain them but they are not willing to listen.what rights do i have to ask them to pay my payments and taking me off the Data base by doing a one sided decision.Thanx
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please let me know what are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would like them to release my payment and take me back on there database,i would like to know being a agency can they take me off data base by doing one sided decision and stop any payments even though i have tried to explain to them.Its about travel payment they looked back from last year how and where they did payment,but these payment where not only made to me but to nearly all interpreters and know they are trying to come back and asking the money back because they are going in loss.At that time the payments and travel ticket where agreed by them in the way we submitted them and slowly they made the changes but now they want the back dated to be repaid according to the changes they made now.Thanx

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am still waiting for the reply, was thinking its on line straight away reply

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Apologies for the sight delay, as we are not a 24/7 service I was unfortunately offline by the time you had replied.

As you are freelance, your rights will very much depend on any contract that you had with the employer and the terms within it. You need to check whether the payments you were entitled to were something that was contained in your contract or if there is any possibility of these being payments that you were not entitled to. If there is nothing in the contract about this but you were explicitly promised these payments at the time then you may still argue that you were entitled to them and as such your current payments should not have been withheld.

If there is a problem with recovering money that a party believes is legally due to them, they have the option of pursuing this as a legal debt. The following steps should be followed:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been unanswered, the other side needs to be sent a formal letter (preferably by recorded delivery) asking them to pay the money they owe within a specified period of time, for example 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do pay, legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the money owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action, which should be a last resort. It is therefore essential that it is sent.
3. If they fail to pay as requested or do not make contact to at least try and come to some form of arrangement, this matter can be taken to the next stage and formal legal proceedings can commence. If this is just about an attempt to recover money the claim can be submitted online by going to There will be a court fee to pay depending on the amount to be recovered (this is usually refundable if the claim is successful) but at least this will kick-start the legal process and hopefully prompt the other side into resolving this without the need to go to a formal court hearing.

It is also strongly advisable to keep copies of all correspondence in relation to this, in case it is needed at a later stage.

In relation to your removal from the database, this can also amount to a breach of contract. Check what terms were there allowing the employer to do so. As a freelancer t is likely that some term would have existed allowing them to terminate your services but the key is whether this could only have been done with specific notice. If that is the case and no notice was given you can also pursue them for compensation to reflect the notice you should have been given.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you