Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am insured with with insure4retirement.Today i informed them

I am insured with with insure4retirement.Today i informed them that my front door
would not lock,I had to call an emergency lock smith out.

The work is costing me £200.However when i asked the insurance company they informed me that they woud not pay a penny towards the cost only of my key was damaged stolen or lost.

Same old story,they are very happy to take my money but sad lack of faith when you ask for help.Surely the fact that i was unable to lock my door therefore
vulnerble qualifies me to some sort of repayment from them.

Nesta Hughes.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please let me know if you have actually checked the terms of your policy to see exactly what you are covered for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What other details do you require please

Please see my question above - Please let me know if you have actually checked the terms of your policy to see exactly what you are covered for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It states replacement of locks and keys.The lock and the whole mechanisum of the door needed replacing,therefore it was necessary to replace the keys also.

ok but are there any conditions that must be met before they would pay out. An insurance policy would rarely just have a simple clause that would guarantee pay out and there will be certain conditions attached to it that must be met, or there will be certain exclusions. Have you checked all the wording to see exactly in what circumstances you can claim. You mentioned that they have refused because you had to have the key lost damaged or stolen - is that what it says in the policy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The actual wording only states Replacement locks and keys.No i have not read all of the small print.However,in what i am unable to find any other refernce to my query.

Insurance companies are notorious for trying to get out of paying out for claims so do not be surprised that this has happened here.

The first step is to very carefully read the terms of your policy. As mentioned, there will often be conditions or exclusions which will apply to any potential claim and it is important to know exactly what you can and can't claim for and in what circumstances. Only when you are confident of your contractual position under your policy should you take this matter further.

If you know that you are in the right and the insurer has not acted as per the terms of the policy, you can then escalate this. The accepted ways of doing this are to pursue this via the insurer's own complaints policy until you get their final response.

Once their final response has been issued and assuming you are not satisfied with it, you may then consider taking this to the Financial Ombudsman who regulates the insurance industry and who can issue a binding decision on this matter.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you