Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hi, we signed our shorthold tenancy agreement 25th Feb 1988

Hi, we signed our shorthold tenancy agreement 25th Feb 1988 moved in 7th March 1988. we have never signed any other agreement and now 26years later have been served with notice of possession. Been told we are regulated protected tenants and because we signed before Jan 1989 they cannot get us out. Please can you help us can they get us out.
John and Lynne

If you moved in before the 15 January 1989 then you most likely will be considered a protected tenant.

The effect of this means that your landlord will only be able to remove you with a court order. In order to obtain the court order the landlord can only claim possession in very limited conditions for example he wants to live there himself due to retirement. There are also some discretionary grounds for example where the landlord has suitable alternative accommodation for you.

I would recommend that you consider contacting this free Government Service. www.lease-advice.org/ This will give you free access to solicitors whose expertise is landlord and tenant matters.

If you want to provide me with any details pertaining to landlords grounds for eviction please do not hesitate to contact me.

AJ