How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12069
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son has a double barrelled name on his birth certificate

Customer Question

My son has a double barrelled name on his birth certificate although he is known by and uses only one surname. When he turned 16 last year and was to be issued with a NI number i rang DWP and asked what name he should use for his NI no. i was told he could use which he liked so only one part of the surname was used. He is now applying for an Isa and sent his birth certificate and NI advice letter for identity but this is not acceptable they say they need both documents to be in the same surname.
Should he legally be using both parts of his surname for bank accounts (has one with just one surname) driving license, NI number etc?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

This is not an issue of general law. It's really what the banks are prepared to take in their obligation to identify their customer. Obviously the bank are concernd that there is two different names on two different documents.

However there is no obligation on a person to use all of their name if they don't want to, subject to the issue that matters like this will come up from time to time where the birth certificate is used as a reference point.

As a general rule of practice, passport and driving licence should coincide with bank statements and other official paperwork. As one gets older the birth certificate is asked for less often.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for previous reply. With ref to my enquiry can Ben change his name legally to just Jones (he is under 18) as applying for provisional driving license is also a problem,




Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Yes he can. Follow this link for how to go about it:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for info - link you gave me is only suitable for Scotland. Have found some web sites such as 'The UK Deed Poll Office' and 'Legal Deed Poll Service' where you can change name on line are these appropriate to use?

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Yes those sites will help you with this.