How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hello can you help me please thinking off marrying my

Customer Question

hello can you help me please thinking off marrying my girl freind in the philipines ..i have my own home here and she is very poor there ...if in the event off divouse would she be entoitled to half i own here .as i have good penshion and savings
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist you.
Any settlement in the event of a divorce will depend on how long you have been married and whether or not there are children.
So if she has children or you are married for twenty years then there is a good chance that she would indeed be entitled to 50% of the assets and ongoing maintenance.
However if you separate soon after the marriage her claim would be very small indeed.
I hope that this will be of assistance - please let me know if you need any further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thankyou but she is trying to come to uk yes as she is not english ok filipino lady ok and they have to live her for a period off 5 years before they become english citizen yes....does that make any difference ? as to be sure also ive been alone for over 15 years now since my wife died would it be advisable to get a order in case off divorce that very small settlement figure is agreed so basically i dont get ripped off iff you get meaning i forget the name off document from a solicitior ...again your advice would be very appreciated ...

many thanks


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and finally as i heard some people have had there fingers burnt with flipino ladies and thia ladies too as at my age now middle 60.s no way do i want ok

again many thanks


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello yety again still waiting for reply to last qestion please


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that her immigration position will not change the financial outcome.
You can consider a Pre-Nuptial agreement - but it woudl need her to receive independent Legal Advice and to be signed at least 28 days prior to the marriage or you can have a post nuptial agreement signed after the wedding