How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

how do i change the name on the deeds to my current property

Customer Question

how do i change the name on the deeds to my current property - the property is jointly owned on the title deeds but i need to change it to just my name - is it possible to do this without informing my husband. There is no mortgage to be paid off as the house was bought outright approx 10 years ago with money left to me by my late father. I have sent off for copies of the title deeds etc and am waiting the results so i know when the house was actually bought and who much we paid as i cannot remember the actual figure. At the time I put my husbands name on the deeds so it would be in joint name but more recently this may not have been the wisest choice as our marriage is falling appart and i need to know where i stand legally with regards XXXXX XXXXX just my name on the deeds etc.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
Sadly I am afraid that the simple fact is that you cannot change the ownership of the property without the knowledge of your husband - indeed you cannot do it without either his agreement or an order from a court.
However you may also wish to be aware that the fact that the house was purchased with money that you inherited make sit likely that you will be awarded a larger share of the equity by the Court within the financial side of Divorce Proceedings.
I hope that this is of assistance - but if you need further help or clarification please do not hesitate to ask.