How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71035
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If you break a bylaw is this a criminal or civil offence and

Customer Question

If you break a bylaw is this a criminal or civil offence and does it go on your criminal record if convicted?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was found guilty today of breaking a railway bylaw and unsure whether this was a criminal or civil offence and whether I will get a criminal record because of it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

I am sorry but breach of the railway bye laws is a criminal matter.

Its obviously not a very serious criminal offence which has no real impact upon your character but it is a criminal record nevertheless.

You will receive a fine. You may have already been fined as they don't usually adjourn for sentence.

That will mean it will be spent after five years which will mean it will drop off basic CRB checking.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.