How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hi my name isXXXXX 24th May 2012 I was offered

Customer Question

Hi my name isXXXXX 24th May 2012 I was offered a new position with my current employer, the offer letter stated " I also confirm that your salary will continue at the present rate of £19,250 per annum, but will be reviewed at the end of the year, when we hope to award an increase to £21,500 per annum, subject to satisfactory progress in the position" I have made two verbal requests to my line manager to implement this increase in salary and been told that there are no performance issues and the award will be made. This has not happened and now I have requested in writing on the 2nd of April that this pay award be implemented. I have now been told that this pay award is subjct to a performance review which is likely to take place in May. Is the company in breach of contract? Thanks. Steve

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The offer seems to suggest a review after one year. Its not a year until May surely?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the reference to the end of the year has always been interpreted by me and intimated that it was the end of the calendar year ie December 31st 2012.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK. That is a fair assumption.

You can raise a grievance to complain about the lack of pay rise. A grievance is an internal complaint which the company has to investigate. Failure to do so could give you the right to complain to the Employment Tribunal and seek compensation. If you are not given the pay rise even after raising a grievance then you could sue the company for breach of contract. But you would have to prove that it was one calendar year as opposed to 12 months in employment.

Hope this helps.