How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How do I get back money that someone borrowed and just hasnt

Customer Question

How do I get back money that someone borrowed and just hasn't paid back, despite my efforts?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much have they borrowed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure of the exact amount at the moment but it is in the region of £800. It was initially around £1000 and she made some payments last year and has refused contact since.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Is she working?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, she earns £450 a week before tax.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
If she refuses to pay then your only 2 options are either to write the money off as a bad debt or sue.

I imagine that you are unwilling to write the money off. Then you are left with the option of recovering at the Small Claims Court.

You should really send her a letter before action. Sometimes they are effective and sometimes not. They are all simple enough to send and Freddie. You just send a letter saying that this money is due and if she does not pay you will see within 14 days.

If that does not encourage her to pay then you can issue here

This is a small claims court sum and so it will be cheap and quick to issue against her and you can claim the costs and interest.

If she is working then she can pay any award and so it would be worth suing her.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.