How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71032
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good Afternoon, Im renting flat in Kettering,my rent will

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,

Im renting flat in Kettering,my rent will finish at the 23 of may,but I would like to stay a bit longer,but I dont want to make again 6months contract.I heard about the rolling contract,but the agency doesnt want to do that.Is it possible to stay on the flat,without 6 moths contract again?Many thanks for Your reply

Rohonczi Monika
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

The short answer is yes but only with the landlord's consent.

If you remain in a flat after the end of an AST then you will flip over onto a periodic agreement. They do not tie you or the landlord into a 6 month period.

However, the landlord can give you a S21 notice during the AST bringing it to an end at its close. If so and you do not go then he can seek a possession order and he would win.

If he is content to have you remain then you can use the periodic agreement but obviously he does have to be content.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.