How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I have a question with regards XXXXX XXXXX Mother. She is 77 years

Customer Question

I have a question with regards XXXXX XXXXX Mother. She is 77 years old and has been diagnosed as having Lewes Body disease with Dementia. Mum is living in Sheltered Housing but has been struggling for a while. On Saturday the hot water pipe burst in my Mothers flat. As a result, the flat has been condemned for at least one month. I approached Hanover Housing to check if my Mother could get Respite care whilst the work was carried out. Due to cost they will not agree but have suggested that my Mother move to a Void flat that they have in Priory Lane. My Mother really does not like this idea but Hanover have informed us that there is no other alternative available. Do we have a case?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Do you have a case for what exactly?

What is difference between moving into respite or the empty flat?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your email.


Respite care would be in a care home where my Mother would be looked after and able to recover from her ordeal.


An empty flat is just that an empty flat. My Mother was in a very distressed state when the pipe burst. Hanover housing have offered to pack and move my Mothers belongings but will not agree to pay for two weeks Respite Care.


My Mother is currently staying in the Guest Room which has not been adapted for people with disabilities. She said she needs a break so do you think we have the right to ask Hanover to pay for Respite care which is £850 weekly for a period of two weeks? I have asked but they have refused.


I await your reply,


Thank you,







We have been in contact with the Social Worker to try and get a placement for my Mother in a care home but they have said according to their assessment Mum is ok to live at home

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

This is outside my area of expertise now so I will opt out for another

Please don't reply or it comes back to my inbox.

Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 years ago.

Dear Kristina

The Housing Association have a duty to offer reasonable suitable alternative accomodation during the period whilst repairs are being undertaken. This would not extend to respite care as that is basically superior to the accomodation that they are moving her from. Having said that, given her flat has been flooded it would have been a nice gesture but they have no legal obligation to provide respite care in these circumstances.

I appreciate that this is not what you wanted to read but only an honest answer is of any value to you. If there are any further points please reply

Best wishes

Yours sincerely