How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi, this is complicated, but im totally confused, its divorce

Customer Question

this is complicated, but im totally confused, its divorce and my identity, I married in 1990 and took his name Evans, I had two children both Evans, we split in 2000 and I became Ms Evans, my divorce didn't come through til 2003. In 2003 I had a baby, her name was changed to Evans because that's what I was. In 2011 I remarried, I married as Ms Evans, not my maiden name, I am now going through a separation and divorce and I'm told I can't go back to Evans. Is that true?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Who has told you that you cannot revert back to Evans?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son and friends

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Fortunately they are wrong - you are entitled to revert back to whatever name you wish - or even choose a new one!
If you wish to choose a new one you will need to have a Change of Name Deed prepared - if you simple wish to revert to a previous name there is no need for that.
If your passport is in your current name you will need to send a copy of your Decree Absolute to the Passport Office
I hope that this helps