How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

selling a car private sale somebody paid for the car and filin

Customer Question

selling a car private sale somebody paid for the car and filin the v5c to sendawayand have told it it sold now he isnot wanting to buy it and his money back but he will cost mee money if he dows that how do i stand
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

jomhe gave me 200 deposit can i keep the deposit or it will coscost me money re avertizingor how do i stand i had

other people intrested but had to teell them it was sold andto renove it from 75.00uto trader witch wasplease advise

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

He is in breach of contract if he cancels at this stage. His explanation for doing so is not adequate in law.

However, you can only claim the sum of your loss I'm afraid. You still have the vehicle to sell and so you cannot enforce the whole contract against him.

There are costs in readvertising etc for which you can claim.

You cannot just keep the deposit though for inconvenience. You need to assess your actual financial loss and keep only that amount.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.