How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a mother of a 2 yr old son, I am Australian, the father

Customer Question

I am a mother of a 2 yr old son, I am Australian, the father is British, my child was born in London, we are not married and its in my childs best interest to raise him in Australia with the support of my family and close friends. The father is unemployed and does not recieve any benefits to help out with rent, bills or child care and expexts me to fund him and his drug and gambling habits along with taking care of all other financials.

I work only 4 days a week and am finding it highly stressful, the outcome of this pressure leaves us in a not so great relationship.

I think its best for my child and myself to go back to Australia where i will get the support of my parents who are rather well off and start a new life.

What are my rights and what can i do to achieve this outcome?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist
I am afraid that you will need the permission of the father or an Order from the Court if you wish to take the Child to Australia Permanently.
In Order to convince the Court you will need to show where you will live what support you have; how you will maintain the child and how you will finance ongoing contact between the child and his father - including face to face contact on occasion
More details here
If you need further clarification please do not hesitate to ask