How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been accused of attacking my 17 year old

Customer Question

I have been accused of attacking my 17 year old step daughter,SHE called the police no charges were pressedthere was awitness there who told police that she in fact went for me....However my stepdaughter has gone on facebook telling her friends a pack of lies . What are my rights?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

You mean to stop her on facebook?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YES.. also its making me look bad on the web and to other people. Is this tarnishing my good character

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I presume your step daughter wasn't present?

So she is repeating what your own daughter has told her?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOOMO1972 It was my step daughter who went for me.Her mother was the witness to my step daughter going for me. Can I legally stop my step daughters lies on facebbook ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer within time I just want to know can I have somebody prosecuted for posting slanderous remarks and lies about me on facebook?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you relisted this so it dropped off my question list and nobody else will assist because I am dealing with your question.

I'm afraid that its quite unlikely the police will be interested in this matter. They have been fairly clear that they do not intend to police comments on Facebook and, in fairness, its not the best use of their resources.

In any event, defamation is not a criminal offence. Its a civil matter. The best you could hope for is malicious communication.

You could possible sue for defamation. That will cost in excess of £10,000 and there is no legal aid unfortunately. Its not suitable for no win no fee.

You could seek an injunction forcing her to take the comments down. That might be more accessible. That would probably cost about £2,000 depending upon whether or not she contests it.

I'm very sorry but the police are not likely to have any interest in this.