How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I bought a house and paid my first mortgage instalment on the

Customer Question

I bought a house and paid my first mortgage instalment on the 20-08-12. I am not getting married until 12-10-13 and there is no one living in the house. I have got a bill for rates of 2400.00 for period beginnning July 2012. Is there anything I can do about this bill?
Carol Mc Cormack
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Rates? Is this NI? Do you mean council tax?

Is the house completely empty or do you have things in it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes this is council rates N.I.

The house is still under construction interioraly;ie kitchen is being installed and at present there are no floors completed. No furnirure in. Electricity iis installed and also water.



Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Much NI law is same as Mainland, the house rating system is different.

I am happy to opt out of this if you wish but AFAIAA we don't have a NI law expert on here but meanwhile I can tell you that unless there is an exemption for empty unhabitable properties you are only liable from July 2012.

I can tell you how to deal with that if you wish.