How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Would you very kindly be able to help me? Just to explain,

Customer Question

Would you very kindly be able to help me? Just to explain, as simply as I can, my boyfriend and I were harassed severely by the next door neighbours, at my previous address. I have been suffering with Depression, and Anxiety, and without going into too much detail, at one time I did try to take my own life directly because of this ( so sorry to have to say this, I know it is shocking ). I moved out, and things are alot easier now, being away from there, only there has still been alot of damage done to the property, which my boyfriend still has, and there have also been frequent break-ins, and the Police have been involved. Historically, these neighbours have constantly either complained if we did not get on with work on the house, or when we did, complained it was making too much noise, even harassing my boyfriend`s then 74 year old father when he tried to help us in rewiring, and they also would do things like complain to the council when doing building work, on a number of occasions, which the council took as malicious. We have also reason to believe that they called up Police following a report on a Crimewatch Uk programme and accused my boyfriend of something awful, from which he was admonished.
I have also been attacked by the mother in the family, my boyfriend has more recently been challenged and attacked by the youngest son in the family ( to explain the family there consist of a couple and two sons, both now in their thirties, although the older one has moved out ) - Also more recently, havng not done work on the house for a while, but following a water leak, my boyfriend was taking plaster off the wall in the kitchen using an sds drill, there was loud vicious banging on the wall and swearing at him for him to stop, even though he had been only working for a short time, and during the day, from the older son who in fact does not live at his parents` address. We have reported everything to the Police, but my boyfriend does not want to prvoke matters by taking action against them as it may ruin his chances of selling the house, at this stage.

We were at the house recently and I am very concerned, as I overheard the mother saying to someone outside that she had contacted the Police over MY behaviour, and I have no idea what she is talking about, perhaps trying to cover considering recent events, the amount of times we have had to have the Police at the house, but I heard her say that the Police have had to warn me over something and give me a caution! I have never at any time been visited or contacted by Police over this woman, only when I have had to contact them as already explained.

My question is, is it possible that the neighbour can say something about me to Police who can do such a thing, give a warning or some sort of caution, that might be on record, without me actually knowing about it? I am absolutely astounded if that were the case, surely not?
The problem is that we never know what these people are up to.
Would you very kindly be able to advise me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Have you involved the police?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have reported everything to the Police, and Stephen my boyfriend believes that the neighbours may have something to do with the break-ins. I have not approached the Police about what I heard the mother saying as I only just heard this very recently, so I wanted to ask for some legal advice.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, that was meant for a different question.

I think that part of your post is missing because this exceeds the word length. Is it possible to summarise it so that I can see it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Jo Of course. I suffered severe harrassment at mty previous address where I lived with my boyfriend, to the point where I tried to take my own life. he is trying to do up the house to sell, has still been gettingharaasment, all reported to Police. I recently heardthe mother of the family giving us problems saying that I had been given a warning or caution by the police over something to do with them. frankly I have never had any contact with Police except when I have had to report this family, I would like to know if a person can receive a warning or caution without any contact from Police?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, that is completely impossible.

To receive a caution or warning you would have to be told about it or it would be void.

They don't have to do much to give you a harassment warning in fairness. Literally just a verbal warning that further contact would be harassment but they do have to do that.

It might be that she has made allegations against you that the police have chosen not to act upon but for any warning to exist you would have to be approached by police and warned. Otherwise its void.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Jo. Do you think I should approach the police myself as I am not happy about what this lady has said, naturally I would like to see if she has said something or other, basically I have hardly been at the house, and then in company.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You can do that if you'd like but I wouldnt worry about this.

You cannot have a police warning or caution unless the police have administered it.