How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We rent a three bedroomed house from a non profit housing association.

Customer Question

We rent a three bedroomed house from a non profit housing association. I live there, my adult son lives there and my daughter lives there, however we are being charged bedroom tax of £14.89 per week. I have provided all evidence to the housing benefit dept, and the housing association. they are ignoring me, what more can i do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
I assume that you are making the Housing Benefit Claim in your own right and that you claim benefits for you and your daughter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Yes, I am in receipt of child tax credit and child benefit in receipt of my daughter who is aged 18 and in full time education. I am making the housing benefit claim in my own right

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
That is the problem.
So far as your housing benefit claim is concerned they will only take account of you and your daughter - hence the "bedroom tax" applies.
I know this is not fair but sadly it is the way that the government wanted it.
You can speak to Shelter who are running a campaign on the issue
but I am afraid that what you are being paid is all that you will get
I appreciate this was not what you wished to hear - it is not what I wished to tell you, if you need clarification then please let me know