How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My Mother has dementia and no one holds any power of attorney.

Customer Question

My Mother has dementia and no one holds any power of attorney. She is also in poor health and is classed as severely mentally impaired. Is she legally capable of understanding and signing any sort of power of attorney, if not are there any alternatives that would allow me access to her finances to adapt her environment to ensure her safety and comfort in her latter months?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Aston Lawyer :

Hi there,
Thanks for your enquiry.

You apply to the Court of Protection to become your Mother's Deputy.

This is similar to you being your Father's attorney, but applies in circumstances where the person has or is losing mental capacity.

I am afraid it is quite a long process, and you can either apply personally or if you instruct a Solicitor to deal with it, you are looking at costs of approx £700- £1,000 plus VAT.

I attach a link to the Court of Protection website, which is where you would need to apply-‎

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Aston Lawyer :

Kind Regards

Aston Lawyer :