How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71144
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have received a further steps notice from the courts regarding

an unpaid fine. I recently... Show More
an unpaid fine. I recently moved so assume this is why I didn't receive any letters regarding it. I have no idea what it is about but as it's a fines courts, assume it's a fine that wasn't paid.
I am trying to contact the court but no-one answers the phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
James Mather,
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience: Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
replied 4 years ago.
What exactly are the charges?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I managed to get through today on the number specified on the 'Further

steps notice' and they advised that I need to call the relevant court for

further details.


The only details they gave me was to say that back in June 2012, the police requested a identity of the driver on my vehicle, presumably for a photo taken of my car. This was two months prior to when I moved end of Oct last year from this area so there was no excuse for documentation / letters not been sent or received by me. As no response was received by me, the court has issued a 'Further steps notice'.


Jo C., Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 71144
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

Is it your car?

Do the DVLA have the correct address for you and have they always had?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it's my car. Bought in 2003 so have had it for 10 years. DVLA may not have had my correct address from Feb '12 to Jun '12 as I stayed at a friend's house before moving again in July to where I am now staying.

My address was changed though at both places.

Jo C., Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Was there a redirection on the post? I'm just trying to find a defence.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Yes, there was re-directions on both addresses. Should be able to track these confirmations in my emails. They were 3 month re-directions.

Jo C., Barrister replied 4 years ago.
I see whats happened.

You have been convicted in absence of failing to identify the driver on an occasion when the driver of your car was captured speeding.

Probably they did send out a NIP and it got lost in the post of in the redirection if you didn't receive it.

In any event, you need to go to court and make a statutory declaration to the effect that you didn't receive the NIP. The conviction should be set aside. Obviously you can only do this truthfully as filing an inaccurate statutory declaration is perjury and people go to prison for that.

You need to attend the local magistrates court and explain what has happened and that you want to swear a statutory declaration. There is a small fee but not onerous.

They are entitled to revive the prosecution but then you would still have a defence to failing to identify because you didn't get the NIP.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further information.