How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was married in 1970,my then wife protduced two sons,we divorced

Customer Question

I was married in 1970,my then wife protduced two sons,we divorced in 1980.At that time I believed that the youngest son was not mine and within the last year have been convinced that the eldest son is not mine either. I am trying to getmy head around all this,the mother has over the years never admitted to anyone,including the two boys,that I am not their father and that in fact they have different fathers.
I have been duped and cheated by this woman and want to know if there is some way I can get back at her,I should say she is now a very wealthy person.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Why do you believe he is not your son?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist you.
I am afraid that the fact that you were married at the time that the children were born means that you are presumed to be the father - and she was entitled to register you as such.
It was for you to challenge the issue at the time - either at the time the children were born - or at the time of the divorce.
The only option that is open to you now is to demand a DNA test so that the truth is known - but because you were married there is no financial compensation you can claim as a result of her behaviour
I am sorry that this is not more positive - but please ask for further clarification if need be
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know she had a liason with another man prior to our marriage and I have been told this carried on after our marriage,I know who this man is and the eldest son bears a stricking resemblance to this him.I do understand that only Dna will establish the truth 100% but this is only worth doing if there is the possibility of compensation .

I was present at the birth of both boys and have feelings of great anger towards my ex wife,who has hidden this secret from all for over 40 years.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I can fully understand your feelings on the matter but there is no compensation that you can claim - so forcing a DNA test would be for information purposes only.