How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35219
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hello, my house is a leasehold, and the leaseholders agents

This answer was rated:

hello, my house is a leasehold, and the leaseholders agents say that I must take building insurance from an insurer as specified by them.Is this legal or can I choose my own insurer as long as the cover is adequate?
regards, paul
Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
What does the lease say on this point?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


I have checked my documentation but I don't seem to have a copy of the lease,which I don't remember seeing since completing the house purchase in 1993 at my solictors.should I request a copy from my solicitor or the leaseholder?


You need to see a copy of the Lease.
You can ask for a copy from the Agents; your solicitors or the Land Registry.
It is likely I am afraid that the lease does indeed give the Landlord the choice on who Insures the property - or at the very least the right to approve who you choose.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you