How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71273
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

what benefits do i get as a single mother? I own a flat that

This answer was rated:

what benefits do i get as a single mother?
I own a flat that I am trying to sell and am living in a rented flat i pay £1400 per month.
i am waiting for a back operation and cannot work at present.
baby due in 4 months

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Is there equity in the property?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Is that the actual equity please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Have you declared that? Im surprised they are paying JSA?
Are you ok?

Are you having trouble using the site?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

they were paying the interest on the £100,000 MORTGAGE ( word deleted by mistake!) I have on the property (Total value of flat £500,000) .So that will stop when it's sold.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

By mistake I deleted the word MORTGAGE after the £100,000.

Yes,I guessed but I'm it clear whether you are living in that property? Sorry if I'm missing the point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I am living there, but it is up for sale. and I will rent soon.

The question is what can I claim for then?

Sorry, I see what you mean.

If the house releases a large amount of equity then I'm afraid you would not be eligible for most benefits. Benefits such as ESA are means tested unfortunately and normally any sum over £16,000 is a complete bar.

If there is no equity release though, you would get housing benefit for the cost of renting.

If you have very young chilren then you will be eligible for income support even under the new changes.

Also, you will get child benefit obviously.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


But what is ESA,

What is the amount of income support I will get with a young child

What is the amount of child support.


And if the father contributes something, what effect will that have on the child support.amount?

Yes, it will and they will conduct checks into why he is not paying if he is not. The DWP are becoming militant.

At the moment income support is set to a default of £56.80 a week.

You would probably be eligible for child tax credit of up to £2750 a year.

Child benefit is set until 2014 at £20.30 a week. That is not means tested at the moment but that is likely to change in 2014.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

many thanks. Now i can see what the position is.


by the way, do i go on getting billed for £33 or £43 a month or what ever it is? I can't quite work it out from your website

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Many thanks. Now all is clear.

By the way, i can't work out from my account on your website whether i will continue being billed every month. Will I be?

I am sorry for any delay you are experiencing. Unfortunately there are some bugs online and have been for a while. Its not something I have control over because the site is hosted in California and I am in London.

You can email customer services about the account situation to prevent yourself being on subscription. They can do that for you.

All the best.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you