How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71343
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi I have a serious problem with an internet based dating

This answer was rated:

I have a serious problem with an internet based dating company ''
They say the are going to take me to court, because they say I didn't cancel my account with them, even after sending them a fax, within the trial period to cancel my account.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How can I help with this threat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Can they start legal proceeding against me and take me to court



Did you cancel in accordance with the contract?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I Cancelled two days before the trial period finished.

I been looking on the internet and found lots of complaints about this company.


Do you have a copy of the fax or confirmation otherwise please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Fax they sent me, yes but not on this pc, it's on my desktop pc


Thank you for the information. I just need ten minutes to dictate an answer is thats Ok?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.




Thanks for the information.

The simple answer is that they could sue. Sometimes people do bring hopeless cases.

The real question here anyway is not really whether they could but whether they would get judgment against you if they did.

On the face of it, they have no case. They offered a trial period. You cancelled within it and, not only did you cancel within it but you can prove that they confirmed your cancellation in writing. There’s no realistic prospect of a Judge finding in their favour unless, I suppose, they are going to try to argue that you didn’t have a trial period etc. If they did that though they would have to explain why they confirmed instead of raising that point. I don’t think you need to worry about that though. Its not going to happen.

I wouldn't get involved in making reports though. Just send them one letter setting out your position, invite them to sue if they disagree and then just ignore them until they do. Its very unlikely it would get that far.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you