How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7042
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

Hi We have had extensive damage sustained to our property

Customer Question

We have had extensive damage sustained to our property due to negligent works carried out by a neighbour. All we can prove and have the appropriate documents/photographs to confirm our claim.
We issued the neighbour with a ‘Seven Day Letter of Intend’ which expires tomorrow. To rectify the negligent works, and pay for the damage our property has sustained thus far.
We have now been contacted by the neighbours adjacent to us, and the neighbours adjacent to them as their properties have now suffered extensive damage due the negligent works undertaken.
We have decided to sue collectively, and wondered if we have to issue another ‘Seven Day Letter of Intent’ to advise the Defendant of a change in our intentions?
Your confirmation here would be appreciated.
Many thanks
T Cox
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 years ago.

The neigbours who are also gong to claim should also send a 7 day letter but you do not need to.

I hope this helps.If there are any further points please reply

Best wishes


Yours sincerely

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, we will ensure the neighbours do so today.

The damage is to a French drainage system that's been in place for at least one hundred years. The longer the defendant leaves it the more extensive the damage is to our properties. The estimate for rectifying the works is at today's date. Can we in are small claims submission advise the quote is only an estimate and this may escalate?

Thank you.

T Cox


Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you can and the court will be aware that an estimate is just that.


Yours sincerely