How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

if someone assaulted you overseas and a police complaint was

Customer Question

if someone assaulted you overseas and a police complaint was lodged at a local police station in that country,If that person (who is assaulted you ) is living in UK.Does the UK legal can do any thing about this situation.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but I'm afraid its bad news.

If the assault took place outside of the UK then its not within the UK jurisdiction unfortunately. That will mean the police and the Courts have no power.

If the other person is subject to any extradition to return to the county in question the UK authorities will co-operate but not beyond that I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.