How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I splitt from my girlfriend about 15 months ago, we have a

Customer Question

I splitt from my girlfriend about 15 months ago, we have a little boy just over 2 and I had contact with him everyday and he stayed every other day. I have recently started seeing a new girlfriend and because of this she has stopped access, if I go to court will they respect the previous arrangement or will they just give me weekends?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
The laws says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce that.
The court would expect any new partner to be introduced gradually but it would only be a major problem if the new partner was known to be a risk to children
However the priority for the court will be establishing a stable pattern of contact - and I have to say that it is unlikely that staying alternate nights with each parent is unlikely to be seen as a stable pattern - although sharing the week in blocks may well be seen as reasonable.
You and your ex need to try and discuss matters using Family mediation ( and you can also find assistance on the website here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information